Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Notes for Claudia's August 29 message

I wanted to be prepared!!!! I wanted to get the most out of this trip, not to mention I was representing Crescent Hill. I did take this serious. SO-o-o-o-o, I took time the week before we left to journal, pray, and have quiet time each day to reflect. I wrote in my journal “I want to be able to give of myself without holding back because of all the newness, strangers, cultural differences, etc. “We only have 5 days to make meaningful relationships”.

My prayers were for guidance, travel safety, tolerance of differences, tolerance of the weather and living conditions. I prayed for willingness and understanding. I didn’t know to pray for flexibility but Jane, Perry, and Ellen had that covered. I made my first prayer shawl. I really didn’t know if there was a certain procedure or chant when you made a prayer shawl so I just talked to God while I worked on it. I thought of each person going on the trip and for God’s guidance and protection. The phrase that coming to me during this week of reflection and preparation was “humble me lord.” I even asked Mickey Alexander if there wasn’t a hymn with this refrain because in my head it came with a tune. Mickey was not able to find anything like that in his collections.

Well as you can imagine lots of large groups go to Guatemala to do mission work. We saw groups of 20, 30 and more in the airport, with matching T-shirts. Quickly the word spread “I hope Perry doesn’t get any ideas.” That just didn’t seem Crescent Hill to me.

There was a large group staying at the Nazarene Center where we stayed. We saw them g
generally at the evening meal. I’m going to tell you I judged this group:
- For not eating the tortillas and asking for only bread at meals.
- For bringing cereal for their breakfast rather that experiencing the culture they were living in.
- For having other motives beyond their building project.

Well my prayers for humility hadn’t kicked in yet.!!!!!

This group felt exhausted each night from their physical labor. At the end of the week they reported having “saved” some 50+ young people, their largest number yet.

- Did they feel a relationship to the people they helped? I can’t say
- Did they go home feeling fulfilled? I can’t say for sure, but probably
- Did the Guatemalan people benefit from their visit? YES
- Did the Guatemalan people feel a relationship to this group?
- Will that same group return?
- Will they continue to communicate with one another?
- Will they continue to pray for one another?

This is what the Guatemalan people see:

Large groups of Americans doing work
- Sending help
- Sending money

Americans have:
- Money!!!!
- Education!!!!
- Means to travel!!!!
- Higher education especially with regard to the Bible

They must be rich, smart, know more than us, they know the Bible better. ……..

The obvious question for our Guatemalan Partners to us is ----

Are we going to provide material help??? Isn’t that what partners do – SHARE. Share what they have??? Early on in the trip this is a conflict for me. I GET IT, it makes sense they would wonder how we are going to help them with all of our resources

As we talked and worked through the semantics of the word partnership/compaƱerismo I think both groups had to really stop and think about a lot.

What do we bring to the partnership?
- Willingness to share ideas
- Desire to get to know the people
- Financial assistance for this trip, travel, food, and shelter for out partners.
- Small gifts of salted peanuts, Spanish literature, youth Bible lessons.
- Commitment to the partnership – visit at least one time per year.
- Desire to learn about the culture
- Desire to learn Spanish so we can communicate more effectively.
- Committed to praying for them, sharing in fasts,
- Cultural Difference
- Jane – a wonderful role model for the women

We have a desire for an ongoing relationship. One that encourages one another, that reaches out to people in a country that may feel forgotten, at least, if not repressed and discriminated against.

What do they bring to the partnership?
- Devotion to God and Bible study
- Rich culture that changes very slowly
- Strong commitment to family – women in group/market
- MANY NEEDS: physical, health, education, material, financial, safety,
- Cultural differences
- Civil war just 15 years ago that lasted more that 35 years.
- Their needs are great – We were told the Kek’ Chi’ people are at the bottom of the social hierarchy. They are very often discriminated against even though they are large in number.
- Lack of trust – their government doesn’t protect, provide, guide them.

It’s all about the perception of what Americans mean to Guatemalans. It was very hard for me to fully understand what this partnership means, why we are here, are we working our own agenda, what’s the right thing to do.

I remember telling Jane I GET IT!!!!! They do have so many needs and we have so much material wealth in comparison.

BUT -

We are a small church – they are a presbytery of more that 35 churches. We’ve been advised not to talk money for at least three years. We want relationship, we know how important relationship is.

WHAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO IN PARTNERSHIP??

When the youth described their mission work in eastern KY last week something rang true for me. They talked about how it felt to work hard and no one coming out to say thank you or to say anything to them. Later they learned how very hard it is for some of us to accept help or to show gratitude. Receiving help can be very humbling, but it does make a difference when it’s from people that care about you. I have experienced this right here at home.

How do the Guatemalan people feel when the Great and Powerful Americans sweep into their country every summer, pour concrete floors, repair roofs, develop soccer fields, etc. I would bet they are VERY GRATEFUL. Is it not another affirmation that they are the needy, less educated, living with less TAKERS and we are the have it all, know it all, GIVERS. This is a very dangerous perception for both sides. In a partnership both sides give and both sides receive. There is not one partner more powerful or stonger than the other.

I received many gifts while in Guatemala. The greatest gifts I received from the Guatemalan people, were:

- Not just a warm welcome
- Not just hospitality
- Not just acceptance
- Not just respect for your ideas
- Not just warm smiles, friendliness

I felt truly loved. BY STRANGERS. On Monday, Romi, the woman we made tortillas with, hugged me. Her hug was so sincere, like she’s known me for years rather than two days. She hugged me like she truly loved me, bringing tears to my eyes.

After we hiked to the top of the mountain at Semuc Champey, took victory pictures WE MADE IT!!! Gerardo put his arm around my shoulder and kissed my cheek, saying in English “BERY GOOD.”

YES - God did answer my prayers. I was humbled. I felt comfortable to be myself with the people of Guatemala. God used these wonderful people to show me the enormity, the power, and the strength of God’s love.

I know my perception of the Guatemalan people is very different now, than before my trip. I can only hope we have left some part of ourselves, some special moment or connection, with them that might change their perception of Crescent Hill Americans – whether we are Right or Wrong.

Now I ask myself, and you, is relationship important when reaching out to people that have so many monetary needs? I think those moments and connections that we make with others are what make us who we are.

-- Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment